Friday, August 31, 2012

Gluten Free Angel Biscuits!





I have made lots of gluten free biscuits before and they have always left me missing the good old fashioned biscuits my Nana made. The ones I have made with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour were heavy and grainy and dried out too fast. I was reminded of Angel Biscuits and how much a little yeast can do to a plain baking powder biscuit. I thought I'd give it a try.

I came across a gluten free flour mixture from Art of Gluten Free Cooking. This mixture makes light and fluffy baked goods! It's now my go to mix for all my gluten free baked goods.

Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix (mix together and store in fridge):
1 1/4 C. brown rice flour
1 1/4 C. white rice flour
1 C. tapioca flour
1 C. sweet rice flour (also known as Mochiko)
2 scant tsp. xanthan gum


Gluten Free Angel Biscuits

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups Jeanna's Gluten free flour mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup buttermilk or almond milk
1 stick butter, cut into pieces

Dissolve yeast in the warm water, set aside. Mix together dry ingredients then cut in the butter until small pea sized pieces form. Pour the yeast mixture and milk into the flour mixture all at once then stir until just combined. Turn the dough out on to a GF floured surface. Knead dough 3-4 times then roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out and place on a lined baking sheet. Makes about 12 biscuits. Preheat oven to 400*. Cover and let rise slightly in a warm place for at least 30 minutes to 1 hr. The warmer the room the quicker the rise. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try these! Definitely different than my recipe for drop biscuits (which are not exactly fluffy...hahaha). Thanks for blogging this!

    ReplyDelete